Will you like sharing your home with mice? The majority will say no because mice are those small creatures that carry big diseases. Their faces may look adorable but the bacteria and viruses they carry are so bad. If your home has an infestation, it may be very unpleasant. Apart from carrying a wide range of parasites, they reproduce fast.
Well! The following are some signs of infestation:
- Torn or shredded fabric
- Scratching noises at night
- Droppings and urine
- Chew holes in building structures
- Chewed food containers
- Chewed food crumbs
When treating a mouse infestation, it is important to deal with the problem both inside and outside. If you want to get rid of rodents from your home, then you need to stop them from entering your property. There are some natural products available out there that can help you keep rodents away.
Fortunately, there are many ways to get rid of mice naturally. You don’t need to harm them to keep them away from your property. All you need to do is use the following natural mice repellents:
It is one of the best and most effective home remedies to get rid of rodents. Bay leaves are natural mice deterrent with no harm. All you need to do is use some crushed bay leaves as mice avoid the crushed ones. Put these leaves where you suspect maximum rodent activity. To use this remedy effectively, replace the leaves after every 2 or 3 days.
Rodents don’t like the pungent smell of onions and that’s why it is one of the effective home remedies. You can either use onions or onions oil to get rid of rodents. Just place the onion in a place where pets and kids can’t reach as onions will rot of left for several days. You can use onions oil on the cotton balls and replace them after every few days.
3. Peppermint Oil
Mice and rats aren’t big fans of peppermint oil. It is an effective mouse deterrent. Rodents don’t like the strong smell of mint and often avoid such places. Take few cotton balls and soak them in peppermint oil. Place these cotton balls at areas you suspect rodent activity. Replace these balls with new ones after a few days. Place these cotton balls away from the reach of your pet.
4. Plaster of Paris and Cocoa Powder
The mixture of plaster of Paris and cocoa powder will make rodents run of their lives. Once they eat up the mixture, they will run to drink water and die. You just have to make a mixture of these two items and spread it in those areas where mice or rats are frequent. However, make sure you keep the mixture out of pets and kid’s reach.
5. Clove oil
Just like peppermint and onions, cloves are naturally pungent and rodents don’t like the smell. Mice and many other rodents will avoid the area where cloves are present. All you need to do is crush some whole cloves and place near known mouse tracks. You can also use clove oil on cotton balls and place them in suspected areas.
6. Instant Potatoes
Instant potatoes are edible when hydrated but very dangerous to mice when dehydrated. The potato flakes absorb water in the gut and expand. This expansion of flakes kills the mice. Using instant potatoes is one of the fastest ways to get rid of mice. However, it is not an option for those who don’t want to kill animals, just like me.
7. Baking Soda
It makes a homemade mouse poison but can also be used to know whether you have rodents or not. If you don’t want to kill mice, just pour some on the ground as see the activity. In another case, mix baking soda with sugar and flour in equal measure.
The above-mentioned are natural smells that keep rats away as they hate these smells.
Here are some other effective home remedies that you may consider:
- Natural Predators – This is one of the simplest and easiest solutions to get rid of rodents. Get a cat or a dog to keep the rodents away. However, having natural predators is a serious commitment. If you don’t like the idea of having cats and dogs, you can try barn owls. Barn owls are natural predators of mice and can devour 15 mice in a single night.
- Hole Patching – Rodents can’t sneak into your home if there’s no entryway. They often invade through cracks, holes, and holes in the walls or foundations. So, hole patching is another home remedy that can help a lot. Properly seal holes in exterior and interior walls to prevent rats and mice from entering your place. You can find the holes by tracking feces, greasy stains or gnaw marks.
- Proper Food Storage – This is the simplest yet most effective ways to keep the rodents away. Rats and mice often come in search of food and shelter. So make sure that your food is properly stored in airtight containers. Mice gnaw over just about anything to get the food. So, keep everything properly and move all trash cans as far away from indoors as possible.
- Humane Traps – You can use humane mouse traps to catch them and get rid of them. Once you’ve caught one, you can release it back into the wild. It means you can get rid of mice without killing them. However, make sure you use the traps in the right places for best results.
- Ultrasonic Sound Devices – Using devices that emit ultrasonic sound is also an effective way to keep the rodents away. Rodents find this sound irritating and often avoid visiting such places. However, these devices should be placed in the right spot for best results as the sound can’t pass through hard surfaces.
Why People Prefer Home Remedies?
These days a lot of people prefer home remedies to get rid of mice infestation. When I was fighting with the same situation, I also preferred using things like peppermint oil, onions oil, clove oil, and humane traps. This is because natural home remedies are:
- Extremely effective
- Does not kill animals
- Safe to use around pets and kids
- Easily available
Just about every home gets invaded by a mouse or rat at some point, it is imperative to know the home remedies to get rid of them. We don’t have to use a poison or inhumane traps to get rid of mice. We can do the same by using humane traps and natural home remedies that do not harm animals. The best part is that you don’t have to out your child’s or pet’s health at risk. Though some home remedies act like poison to rodents, you can avoid them if you want.
Also, if you want to get rid of mice forever, then you need to stop these creatures from entering your home. These tiny creatures can squeeze through deceptively small holes and gaps. So, you need to find and fix all such holes, gaps, and cracks in or around your home. This is the best way to keep rodents out of your place.
In a nutshell, we can say that natural methods of mouse control are easy and safe yet effective.